The VAPA (Visual & Performing Arts) department here at NHS has asked us to design a logo for them. They'd like to use the logo for posters, letterhead, display tags and even T-shirts.
Start with research, then hand-drawn thumbnails.
- Fold a sheet of 9x12" white paper in half.
- On the left, loosely sketch at least four logo ideas.
- On the right, make more refined drawings of your favorite deisgn from the left.
- One in solid black on white paper.
- One in full color - you choose what color(s).
- Turn in your paper.
Make digital versions of your black and color logos in Photoshop or Illustrator. See the tutorial.
The goal in digitizing a logo from a sketch is to create a version that is clean and visually balanced.
For the purposes of this propject:
- Outlines should be in solid black and make with neat edges. Avoid sketchiness.
- Colors should be carefully selected and smooth in appearance. Avoid splotchiness.
I have already scanned your logos in and formatted them as 6" x 6" squares at a resolution of 300 pixels per inch in Photoshop. You will find these in the Outbox.
- Year One students: Follow the steps in the tutorial to complete your digital logo in Photoshop.
- Year Two students: Place your prepped Photoshop file into a 6" x 6" Illustrator document and use what you've learned so far to digitize the logo.
I will be available to help with special tasks in Photoshop or Illustrator.