Chapter 02 Design Project:
Creating Text and Graphics
You work in the marketing department of a major movie studio, where you design movie posters and newspaper campaigns. You are respected for your proficiency with typography. Your boss asks you to come up with a “teaser” campaign for the movie Vanishing Point, a spy thriller. The campaign will run on billboards in 10 major cities and will feature only the movie title, nothing else.
- Create a new 6" × 6" CMYK Color document, then save it as Vanish.
- Type VANISHING POINT, using 100 pt and a bold font. (Hint : The font used in the image below is Impact.)
- Change the horizontal scale to 55%.
- Convert the text to outlines.
- In the Swatches panel, click the Linear Gradient 1 gradient.
- Drag the Gradient Tool from the exact bottom to the exact top of the letters.
- Copy the letters, then paste them in front.
- Fill the copied letters in front with white.
- Using your arrow keys, move the white letters 2 pts to the left and 8 pts up.
- Save your work, then compare your text with the image below.
- Close Vanish.
Source: "Adobe Illustrator CS3 Revealed" by Chris Botello