Chapter 02 Project Builder 2:
Creating Text and Graphics
Your friend owns Loon’s Balloons. She
stops by your studio with a display ad that
she’s put together for a local magazine
and asks if you can make all the elements
work together better. Her only direction
is that the balloon must remain pink, the
same color as her logo.
- Open AI 2-4.ai, then save it as Balloons.
- Save the pink fill on the balloon to the
Swatches panel, and name it Hot Pink.
- Fill the balloon shape with the White,
Black Radial gradient from the Swatches
- Change the black stop on the Gradient Slider
to Hot Pink.
- Using the Gradient Tool, change the highlight
point on the balloon shape so that it is
no longer centered in the balloon shape.
- Copy the balloon, then paste it in front.
- Click the Selection Tool on the block of text
that says “specializing in etc.”, then cut
- Click the top balloon with the Selection Tool,
then switch to the Area Type Tool.
- Click the top edge of the top balloon, then
- Center the text and apply a -4 baseline shift.
- Adjust the layout of the text as necessary.
(Hint : You can force a line of text to the next
line by clicking before the first word in the
line you want to move, then pressing
- Move the headline LOON’S BALLOONS so
that each word is on a different side of the
- Apply a 320 kerning value between the
- Save your work, compare your screen to
the figure below, then close Balloons.
Source: "Adobe Illustrator CS3 Revealed" by Chris Botello