Chapter 03 Project Builder 1:
Drawing and Composing an Illustration
The owner of The Blue Peppermill Restaurant has hired your design firm to take over all of their marketing and advertising, saying they need to expand their efforts. You request all of their existing materials—slides, prints, digital files, brochures, business cards, etc. Upon examination, you realize that they have no vector graphic version of their logo. Deciding that this is an indispensable element for future design and production, you scan in a photo of their signature peppermill, trace it, and apply a blue fill to it.
- Create a new 6" × 6" CMYK Color document, then save it as Peppermill.
- Place the Peppermill.tif file into the Peppermill Vector document. (Hint: The Peppermill.tif file is in the Chapter 3 Data Files folder.)
- Scale the placed image 150%, then lock it.
- Set your fill color to [None], and your stroke to 2 pt black.
- Using the Zoom Tool, create a selection box around the round element at the top of the peppermill to zoom in on it.
- Using the Pen Tool, trace the peppermill, then fill it with a blue swatch.
- When you finish tracing, tweak the path if necessary, then save your work.
- Unlock the placed image and cut it from the document.
- Save your work, compare your illustration to the image below, then close Peppermill.
Source: "Adobe Illustrator CS3 Revealed" by Chris Botello