Chapter 04 Design Project:
Transforming and Distorting Objects
You are a fabric designer for a line of men's clothing. The line is known for its conservative patterns and styles. You are asked to supervise a team that will design new patterns for men's ties. You will present your recommended new patterns using Illustrator.
- Create a new CMYK Color document and name it New Tie.
- Create a square, rotate it 45°, then reshape it using the Direct Selection Tool by dragging the top anchor point straight up to create the shape of a tie.
- Use a square and the Subtract from shape area button to square off the top ot the diamond.
- Draw a second polygon to represent the tie's knot.
- Lock the two polygons.
- Create a small circle, then copy it using the Move dialog box to create a polka dot pattern that exceeds the perimeter of both polygons.
- Unlock the polygons, then bring them to the front.
- Create a compound path out of the two polygons.
- Select all, then use the polygons to mask the polka-dot pattern.
- Apply a fill to the mask, save your work, compare your image to the one below, then close the New Tie document.
Source: "Adobe Illustrator CS3 Revealed" by Chris Botello