Illustrator CS3 Revealed
- Tweaking is always a part of the drawing process in Illustrator.
- Round caps create square dashes and butt caps create rounded dashes.
- Selected anchor points appear as white or hollow, while unselected points appear as solid.
- Direction lines will print only if the path is selected when the document is closed.
- When you click and drag direction lines with the Convert Anchor Point Tool, the direction lines move independently.
- Once direction lines have been broken, they remain broken and can be moved independently with the Direct Selection Tool
- When the Miter Limit is set to 3, this means that when the length of the miter is three times the weight of the stroke, Illustrator will square it off to a beveled edge.
- Choose Butt Caps for squared ends of a stroked path.
- With a Projecting Cap, the weight of the stroke is equal on all sides of a path.
- If you drew four separate straight lines with the Pen Tool then positioned them to make a tic-tac-toe grid, the Live Paint Bucket Tool could apply a fill color to the center square.
- Tweaking refers to what?
- adding an anchor point to a path
- converting a path into a guide
- rotating an object precisely
- making small improvements
- What is the name of the command that allows you to save any view of the artboard?
- Save View
- New View
- Edit View
- Fit In Window
- The primary function of the Average command is what?
- joining anchor points
- aligning objects
- aligning anchor points
- all of the above
- When the Pen Tool is positioned over an anchor point on a selected path, ____.
- the Pen Tool becomes the Delete Anchor Point tool
- the Pen Tool becomes the Add Anchor Point tool
- the Pen Tool becomes a selection arrow
- the Pen Tool does not change
- The angle and length of direction lines define what?
- a closed path
- the arc of a curved segment
- a smooth point
- a 'broken' point
- The projecting cap is most useful when you align ____.
- two anchor points at an acute angle
- two anchor points at an obtuse angle
- two anchor points at a right angle
- two anchor points on a horizontal plane
- The Live Paint Tool paints _____.
- both a & b
Case Based Critical Thinking
Mark finds that most of his designers are mostly Photoshop gurus and aren’t fully up to speed with using the Pen Tool to draw objects in Illustrator, and because of this, much of their line work and choices for stroking effects are unsatisfactory. He also finds that they are mostly unaware of the basic concepts behind the Live Paint feature and how they relate to standard Illustrator working methods.
- Mark reminds his team that line work is a critical component of Illustrator artwork. He reminds them to remain aware of joins and caps because their function is _________.
- aesthetic - they affect only the appearance of stroke
- practical - they affect miter limits and butt caps connect two right angle path segments
- both a & b
- none of the above
- One of the junior designers has become confused about the Miter Limit option in the Stroke panel. Mark uses a star as an example, then uses the Miter Limit option to reduce the points to bevels. The junior designer says he’s still confused about the term “miter.” Mark explains that, in Illustrator, miter issues only occur with ________.
- paths that come to a sharp corner
- stroked paths
- anchor points
- beveled edges
- To further explain the concept of the Live Paint feature to his team, Mark uses the same example. He creates two circles in Illustrator with no fill and no stroke, then positions them so that one is overlapping half of the other. He refers to this as “the artwork.” He then tells his team that - using Live Paint - the total number of different fill and stroke colors that could be applied to “the artwork” is:
- 1 fill color and 1 stroke color
- 2 different fill colors and two different stroke colors
- three different fill colors and two different stroke colors
- three different fill colors and four different stroke colors
- In the figure above, what is the name of the selected tool?
- In the figure above, what is the name of the right-most tool?
- The ______ command unites anchor points.
- Use the ____________ to change smooth points to corner points and vice versa.
- ___________ points draw continuous curves.