Chapter B Skills Review:
Developing a Web Page
A) Create head content and set Web page properties
- Open the Blooms & Bulbs Web site.
- Open the home page and view the head content.
- Change the page title to Blooms & Bulbs · Your Complete Garden Center.
- Insert the following keywords: garden, plants, water, nursery, flowers, supplies, landscape, annuals, perennials, and greenhouse.
- Insert the following description: Blooms & 8ulbs is a premier supplier of garden plants for both professional and home gardeners.
- Switch to Code view to view the HTML code for the head content, then switch back to Design view.
- Open the Page Properties dialog box to view the current page properties.
- Change the background color to a color of your choice.
- Change the background color to white again, then save your work.
B) Create, import, and format text
- Select the current navigation bar and replace it with Home, Featured Plants, Gardening Tips, and Workshops. Use the [Spacebar] key and a hyphen to separate the items.
- Using the Property inspector, apply the Heading 4 format to the navigation bar.
- Create a new paragraph after the paragraph of text and type the following text, inserting a line break after each line.
Blooms & Bulbs
Highway 7 North
Alvin, TX 77511
- Italicize the address and phone number lines and change them to size 2.
- Change the copyright and last updated statements to size 2.
- Save your work, then close the home page.
- Open dwb_2.htm and save it as tips.htm in the Blooms and Bulbs Web site, overwriting the existing file.
- Set the banner path to the assets folder at the Blooms & Bulbs Web site and save the planting_tips.jpg in the assets folder of the Blooms & Bulbs Web site.
- Place the insertion point under the Planting Tips heading.
- Import gardening_tips.doc from the drive and folder where your chapter_b Data Files are stored, using the Import Word Document command, then use the Clean Up Word HTML command.
- Format all of the text on the page using the following attributes:
- Font: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
- Alignment: Align Left
- Style: None.
- Select the Seasonal gardening checklist heading, then use the Property inspector to center the text.
- Use the Property inspector to format the selected text with Heading 3 format.
- Apply the color #006633 (the third color in the second row) to the text.
- Select the rest of the text on the page except for the Seasonal gardening checklist heading, then set the font to size 3.
- Select the Basic Gardening Tips heading, then format this text in bold, wrth the color #006633 and a size of 3.
- Save your work and close the tips page.
C) Add links to Web pages
- Open the home page (if necessary), then use the Property inspector to link Home on the navigation bar to the index.htm page in the Blooms Web site.
- Link Featured Plants on the navigation bar to the plants.htm page.
- Link Gardening Tips on the navigation bar to the tips.htm page.
- Link Workshops on the navigation bar to the workshops.htm page.
- Using the Insert bar, create an e-mail link under the telephone number.
- Type Customer Service in the Text text box and firstname.lastname@example.org in the E-Mail text box.
- Title the plants.htm page Our Featured Plants.
- Title the workshops.htm page Scheduled workshops, then save your work.
D) Use the History Panel and edit code
- Open the History panel, then clear its contents.
- Delete the current date in the Last updated statement and replace it with a date that will update automatically when the file is saved.
- Change the font for the last updated statement using the font of your choice.
- Use the History panel to go back to the original font and style settings for the last updated statement.
- Change the last updated statement to boldface.
- Close the History panel.
- Examine the code for the last updated statement.
- Save your work.
E) Modify and test Web pages
- Using the Window Size pop-up menu, view the home page at 600 x 300 (640 x 480, Maximized) and 760 x 420 (800 x 600, Maximized), then maximize the document window.
- Save your work, then view the page in your browser.
- Verify that all links work correctly.
- Change the text Stop by and see us soon! to We ship overnight!
- Save your work, then view the pages in your browser, comparing your screens to the images below (click for larger images).
- Close your browser.
- Adjust the spacing (if necessary), save your work, then preview the home page in the browser again.
- Close the browser, save your work, then close all open pages.